The Crevecoeur Selection.

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

I Disagree.

Post  SerranoM4 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:09 pm

In my opinion, America has always been for a certain type of people, while the rest slave away trying to make the best of what they're handed. "He becomes an American..." In this country, even if you have a paper to prove you are an American, whether you were born here or immigrated here, you don't become an American by simply stating an Alma Mater. If you don't fit in with the people around you, you are ostracized and rejected. For example, if you are surrounded by white people and are Mexican, you are not considered an American by them. It's the same vice versa, as well. America is a melting pot, don't get me wrong...but, the stereotypes and prejudices rule supreme. The meat in the stew is still the meat, no matter how much or how long you stir. Also,"...;without any part being claimed..." Have you ever heard of the company Monsanto? They have patents on most of all the seeds that American farmers use. If a farmer somehow violates this patent, because they used Monsanto products once or a truck broke down in front of their farms and the seeds blew into their fields, the company can reap the products of the farmers. And, they do, because the farmers are usually to afraid to speak up. I love what America stands for, but am ashamed by what it's become. It's run by corporations now, and not in the interest of the people. Rewards are hardly earned, and are usually taken by others.

SerranoM4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response

Post  JimmyNgoP4 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:11 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur’s statement, “Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world.” The United States is grouped together by many diversities that comes as one to create many changes in the world; whether it’s good or bad. Great minds joins together to make great changes but at the same time, Crevecoeur has given the American too much credit due to the fact that there is corruption in today’s world. To be an American, is to have goals that one day can be achieved and share a national culture. It is important to be an American in today’s society because the nation depends on an individual who is apart the society. Crevecoeur’s idea on an American is somewhat pertinent but the value of being an American will continue to change.

JimmyNgoP4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I agree with Crevecoeur

Post  marcos14 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:24 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur because his idea of an American resembles my idea of an American. I think that an American should be a hardworker who is loyal to their country. They should also be united and live in equality. In this quote, "The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born.", shows that Americans should appreicate the freedom they have. I believe that Crevecoeur's idea of an American still represents a modern American today.

marcos14

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: The Crevecoeur Selection.

Post  Saron Ayala3 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:29 pm

I somewhat agree with Crevecoeur's opinion of the American because when immigrants migrate to America, their cultures are mixed with American customs. Generations pass and the culture is no longer pure and most forget who they truly are. Although we are no longer a society of farmers, some things we can still relate to today.

Saron Ayala3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crevecoeur's definition of an American Response

Post  Castillojs4 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:36 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American to some extent. Yes, a new race was formed from numerous ethnic groups. It brought a great change to the world, including the creation of a system that has kept our country stable and moreover a better place for you and I. Equality was brought upon everyone although it wasn't like that from the start. Everyone has human rights, those including to being able to state your opinion without being executed for it. Also the work a person contributes and the results it provides is theirs alone and there is no such thing as a monarchy to claim it as his own. Being said, being a American has it's benefits. And sure, America has it's flaws, but no country is perfect.

Castillojs4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crevecoeur Opinions

Post  MedinaA2 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:52 pm

My thoughts on the Crevecoeur article are in the neutral. While I agree with some of his points, I strongly disagree with others. For example, "The Americans...incorporated into one of the finest systems..." I disagree with this because in my opinion, America has a lot of racism. For instance, if a African student becomes part of an all white club, all Latino club, or all Asian club, he or she instantly becomes an outcast or target to them. I agree with the statement, "The American is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas, and form new opinions" because as an American, you have the freedom of speech and the right to do as your please while following the laws created by the county.

MedinaA2

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Hoang,K 3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:05 am

From the text, I agree for most of what Crevecouer was claiming to be the definition of an American. Just like what Crevecoure said, "Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world". Basically, he claims that Americans possess a new way of thinking and innovation that benefits for the better of the world. That is true because everyday people are coming together to come up with ideas to make America and the world a better place and isn't that the reason why people from outside the US immigrate to America in the first place? They come here to find more opportunities and fulfill the "American Dream". However, I do not agree what Crevecouer claimed in his paragraph that, "American's ought therefore love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born". Americans aren't required to love this country even though they can't help it but do. Though, just like everything else in the world, America isn't perfect and have some of its flaws that may or may not be better than his forefathers.

Hoang,K 3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection

Post  TranC4 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:10 am

I concur with Mr. Crevecoeur’s definition of an American – most of it, anyways. He claims “individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labors and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world.” This is true considering the fact that some people have changed the world dramatically with technology and science. For example, the creators of Microsoft and Apple have introduced new devices and tools to assist people in their daily lives with computers and internet, even. Crevecoeur also states that, “The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born.” Basically, Americans are supposed to love America more than where they came from, be it in Asia or Europe. I disagree with this statement because there wouldn’t be any specific diversity in America. America is supposed to be united, diverse, and free. It is now, anyways. People shouldn’t be bound to have interest in just one country. Also, Crevecoeur believes that no American is being claimed or owned. Back then, in other countries, there were monarchies. The peoples’ decisions and votes didn’t exactly count. Now, it’s different. Americans are able to have their own voice in this country.

TranC4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  JacobH3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:14 am

Crevecoeur's definition of an American is a hard-working, agrarian individual who is motivated completely by self-interest. Since America is a capitalist country, Americans have to be motivated by their own preservation to survive, so Crevecoeur's assessment on this aspect is correct. However, his ideal of the perfect agrarian American is false. The majority of the United States is industrial, such as the Northeast and Western regions. I agree with Crevecoeur's statement of the American ideal of individualism and self-interest but disagree with the agrarian aspect of his statement.

JacobH3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Cristy Nguyen on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:23 am

I disagree with most of Crevecoeur's definition of an American. For instance, Crevecoeur says, "The Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared...". I totally disagree with this statement because there are people of other ethnic groups from different countries that immigrated to America. I don't think America is the finest system either. There are people that struggle with work, home, food, etc. I also don't agree when Crevecoeur states, "American ought therefore to love this country...". Just because they live in America doesn't mean they have to love it. Some people love where they originated from because it's where they were born and raised.The only statement I agree with Crevecoeur is "...individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and prosterity will one day cause great changes in the world." All men are meant to be created equal and work can make a impact in life. I think Crevecoeur's definition of an American is not as what it seems through his eyes.

Cristy Nguyen

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HinojosaP4 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:34 am

I agree with most of the opiions that Crevecour has to say about being an /american. I really like how he staeted that Americans are, "...individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men..." People from all over the world have come to America because it was considered to be "The New World". So in reality, Americans can relate in that they all want a shot to become something in their lives, an opportunity that is hard to find anywhere else. In todays society, things are different than how Crevecoeur says it. Women and children helping their father's in the crop field is but an analogy because in the world of today, this women is no longer depending on the work of their hubands to live. We live in a modern world of technology where sometimes, even a child can exceed his father's knowledge in tecnology. In conclusion, Crevecoeurs's view of being an American is out dated to do our modern fast moving world.

HinojosaP4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

(Period 1) The Crevecoeur Selection

Post  Regina Tang on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:51 am

I agree with Crevecouer’s definition of an American and I believe his definition still applies in today’s society. It is true that people from all nations who immigrate to America are “melted into a new race of men” because it doesn’t matter where a person originally came from. Everyone will still get the same rights and everyone will be equal. Crevecouer has also stated that Americans are part of “one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared.” This statement is correct since America is the hegemon of the world, and that can only happen if the people in America are united, strong, and successful. In addition, I also agree with Crevecoeur that anyone in America who works hard will eventually succeed. This is true since America is the land of opportunity. It doesn’t matter if a person came from a poor or rich family. If he or she works hard, he or she will become successful. I agree with the fact that there are no princes or lords to take away something that rightfully belongs to the people. Everyone in America must follow the same laws and there are no exceptions for anyone. Furthermore, in America, everyone has freedom of speech and new ideas are encouraged. Therefore, it is true how Crevecouer said that Americans must “entertain new ideas and form new opinions.” Overall, I believe that Crevecoeur’s definition of an American is true to this day because we are all equal and everyone has the same opportunities to work hard to become successful in life.

Regina Tang

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Response to Crevecoeur

Post  davidtranp3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:52 am

I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American. "Here the rewards of his industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labour." When you work hard, you get rewarded. Americans do try their best to work hard so they can be rewarded in the future. "The American is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas, and for new opinions." Crevecoeur is trying to say how in America, we have our own freedom to express our ideas to help make the country better, and this is what an american is. We are the ones that create the nation with our opinions and ideas. Another thing Crececoeur said was, "Wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat and frolisome, gladly help their father to clear those fields..." The women and the children are allowed to help their family solve problems, and help the man in charge out. America gives you a lot of privilege, and allows more freedom.

davidtranp3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

I agree with Crevecoeur!

Post  OxleyA4 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:10 am

It is true that America is a very diverse group of people all brought together from various cultures, backgrounds, etc. It is also true that the "ideal American" would then be someone who uses those different ideas, thoughts, and opinions to reach general success, which is what America is about. A true American should be true to their country and love their country. The most valuable thing a man could do for his country is apply the lessons he has learned to their work habits to keep America as prosperous as possible. Americans are free people who are asked nothing more than to be true to their country in order to keep it a place full of promises for success in the present and the future.

OxleyA4

View user profile

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection.

Post  christiannherr on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:16 am

I agree with Crevecoueur's definition of an American. "Here the rewards of his industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labour." This quote says that, in America your hard work will be repaid with great rewards. "His labour is founded on the bases of nature, self-interest." This quote shows that "self-interest" is what motivates Americans to work for what we want. "The American is a new man." When the pilgrims discovered America, they wanted to have the freedom of expressing their religion so they broke away from their home country and therefore an "American is a new man." In conclusion, I believe that Crevecoeur's definition of an American is accurate.

christiannherr

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crevecoeur respond p2 mario

Post  mariorosales on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:34 am

I agree with what Crevecoeur had to say about being an American. The thing i found most interesting was when he said "here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men.." i believe this is true because most people come to America to make something of them selfs and get a fresh start. Being an American is basically everything Crevecoeur stated as long as you give it your all you can achieve many things.

mariorosales

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Crevecoeur Selection.

Post  gonzalezjason on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:35 am

I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American because when an immigrant comes to America he becomes an American. Every individual brings traditions and their culture to America. An American always wants the best for him and to make this happen he has to work really hard to accomplish this. He may have trouble adjusting to his new home, but it takes time to show love to his country. As an America you have your own ideas and opinions. No one should influence you when making a decision.

gonzalezjason

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Crevecoeur's Selection

Post  evelynmenjivar on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:38 am

In some ways, I do agree with what Crevecouer's stated, like how America is a nation upon many nations in one land with different races of men who wished to find a better life other than their homeland's. But for the most part, I disagree. America once used to be a land where you could work very hard and achieve your American Dream. As the times have changed though, it is not as what Crevecouer's said. Today, America is full of hopes and dreams that do not really exist anymore. You could work hard, you could have the best connections in the industry that you are working in, and you could have the best talent in the world, but if you loose a little bit of your motivation, you will loose it all. Quote from his passage "The America is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas, and form new opinions. From involuntary idleness, servile dependence, penury, and useless labour, he has passed to toils of very different nature, rewarded by ample subsistence. -- This is an American." this is very opposite of our America today. To my opinion, there are very few men who act upon the new principles. There are little men today, and women, who are as unique and independent with their ideas. Most are stolen, reconstructed, or "borrowed" from others. If one person succeeds, the other will find a way to be as successful as the other but manipulate them somehow. You could take a coffee shop for example and it could be a huge success. Then another will seek to ope another coffee shop business as the other and say that they are better and try to have more success than the other and there would be a battle of customers and who is the alpha of the coffee shop business. America isn't what we wished in my opinion. People tried to have more fortune in their lives by coming here and making a better life, but only little have actually succeeded in these days. America, to my eyes, is slowly being corrupted. If Crevecouer's statement was to be the same from his point of view into our time, then America would be such a better place.

evelynmenjivar

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Dalal Dandan on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:51 am

I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American but not entirely. I agreed with Crevecoeur when he states, "Here the rewards of his industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labour;…" This quote is completely true because those who work hard will achieve success and be rewarded. Those who choose not to work hard will receive nothing. In addition, I agreed with him when he said," Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and prosperity will one day cause great changes in the world.” What Crevecoeur had stated is believable because Americans have worked really hard to change the world into a better place, and have succeeded in doing so. They have advanced many things and are still working on achieving greater goals. I however, disagree with Crevecoeur when he states that, "wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat and frolicsome, gladly help their father to clear those fields..." Although there are many Americans who are able to maintain a sustainable lifestyle, there are many poor people out there who are not able to provide for themselves, and have no clue of how they are going to get food; they are living on the streets homeless and starving. Also the statement "The Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared..." is entirely wrong because America is highly populated with many different ethnicities from all around the world, not only from Europe. I believe that Crevecoeur thinks that America is the most perfect place to live, but that in my opinion is not entirely true.

Dalal Dandan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  HoL3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:57 am

I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American, because when he stated, "The American is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas, and form new opinions", he's trying to tell us that anyone can leave your past behind and start fresh. In order to turn a new leaf, Americans must be open minded and give themselves an opportunity to try something new, give into what they desire. To obtain their "American Dream", many must work hard for it. Hard workers will be rewarded greatly and all the suffering will pay off. Though a diverse group of people with different cultures, Crevecoeur acknowledges the fact that the Americans are unified. Unification of the people can help America become a flourishing place to live.

HoL3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  ccabrera on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:09 am

I semi agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American. He explains it as if we're like a "new race" that will bring changes to the world. We were some what a "new race" back then because people would be born and they were like the first Americans, but that really doesn't matter. However we have brought great changes to the world with technology and agricultural innovations. Also we are a group of people that aren't ruled by a monarch so in that way so we still haven't changed from his description. Either way I know that we have evolved from his description of an American because now not all of us have to crop for our food anymore. Also now we don't come from Europe but from all over the world to live out their American dream.

ccabrera

View user profile

Back to top Go down

My Opinion(s) on Crevecoeur's definition of an American

Post  TranM-3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:28 am

I disagree on a few points Crevecoeur makes, have questions on some lines, and agree on the rest of what he believes defines an American. He states Americans "are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared"; is it really the finest system? Question .. I mean, sure he can say America had the finest system during his time, when revolution in France has yet to take place. Now however, I don't think it is the finest system a population can have. There are many flaws in the modern American system. In another line, he says, "the rewards of his industry follow with equal steps the progress of his labour". Again, this may have very well been true back in the day he defined what an American was, but right now, that's not always the case. Many men and women have worked their butts off through blood, sweat, and tears, and have gotten basically nothing in return; some, on the other hand, have gotten further up the ladder that they should have through bribes. Sad He talks about how providing for the family is like a piece of cake. With the recession, families can not be fed 'just like that', some no longer have jobs, or even a place to roof their heads let alone being able to provide for their families. I may be exaggerating a bit, but you get the idea.

After reading the assigned passage over and over again, I have not yet fully comprehended a couple lines from the paragraph, and am posting up my lack of understanding of these parts in hoping you, my fellow classmates, would find it in their hearts to clarify what, to me, seems to be unclear. x]
1) In the first line, the passage reads "He becomes an American by being received in the the broad lap of our great Alma Mater"... what exactly does this mean? Question
2) "Americans are the western pilgrims". ...Why are they called the western pilgrims?
3) "...they will finish the great circle" ... What 'great circle' is Crevecoeur referring to?

I agree on the rest of Crevecoeur's definition. America is a 'melting pot', though I see it as a salad bowl; our diversity should not make us all 'blend', but it should rather beautify our nation (with each and every single individual having some part in our country, working together to make America move forward, progress, and good). Americans should love America more than their forefather's country, because in reality, they are living in the 'best country', with the best hopes for a 'better future' today. For the most parts of modern life, "rewards of his industry" do "follow equal steps the progress of his labour"; and again like the previous quote, for the most part "labour is founded on the basis of nature". Unless his or her circumstances prevent them from having the job/career of his or her dreams, it is most likely that he or she would choose and pursue the particular profession, (like Mr. J). Americans even today, do not have to worry about someone taking what they have worked so hard for away, (with the exemption of taxes..) Americans who have rocketed pass hardship, defeat, and towards greatness, do experience a different kind of hardship and will, most of the time, be rewarded by "ample subsistence".

Hope I'm not missing anything, and sorry if my argument sounds a bit disconnecting.

Last edited by TranM-3 on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:34 am; edited 1 time in total

TranM-3

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  angieejay on Mon Sep 10, 2012 2:30 am

Crevecoeur's definition of an American is to transform into a new individual who should obtain new goals and opinions throughout their everyday life. I somewhat agree with his definition of an American but in the most part, I don't. I agree with the statement he made that "Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men..." because we are all one who live for the American Dream. Most of us have the same goal. However, not everyone treat one another as one because of their different race. Americans didn't just come from Europe but from all over the world. In my perspective, I believe that American is not "one of the most finest population which has ever appeared". America is a great place but it has suffered from economic problems such as The Great Depression. Some people still stuggle to make a living here in America. He believes living her gives us the opportuinity to have anything we cud possibly want but others don't have anything at all. Yes, it may be easier than other countries through the help of our rights, such as the prusuit of happiness, liberty, and speech, but sometimes we take advantage of those rights by ttreating others with no respect whatsoever. I disagree with Crevecoeur because he says, "American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forfathers were born". We are thankful for living in this countries with many opportuinies and also love this country for giviing us what we have. On the other hand, others shouldn't forget about their home land and where they were raised. They have their own culture and opinions and it's still part of who they are! That will never change. Overall, i disagree with most of his opinions and meanings of being an American.

angieejay

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3