Mr. J's Honors English 3H Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Crevecoeur Selection.

+69
Dalal Dandan
evelynmenjivar
gonzalezjason
mariorosales
christiannherr
OxleyA4
davidtranp3
Regina Tang
HinojosaP4
Cristy Nguyen
JacobH3
TranC4
Hoang,K 3
MedinaA2
Castillojs4
Saron Ayala3
marcos14
JimmyNgoP4
SerranoM4
Esmeralda Cayetano
JamesDang
GarciaAn3
DanielP
Nicholas Souchitto
robertvictorio
AndyDo3
montoyaR4
VasquezA.3
Joanne V.
garciaa3
Paula L. 3
heidyrobles14
angeliquenguyen
maganav4
dangn
diazjennifer03
Aimee Rivera
Hung Bui
Dang Nina
TranCJ4
DeLosSantosJessica4
davilaI4
LeahRachel
nguyenk3
Brian Tran
Duy Hong
DuranE3
trinathai
Johnsonngodoan
PhamK4
VuB4
V.Bui14
ChongB4
moniquesim
Elaine R Soriano
JudyLotfy
Bryannguyen3
VerboonenB4
Alvarez,E 3
NguyenC3
GonzalezM4
Kenny Le
Erick Fonseca
T.Nguyen3
SDKjoshua
Ha
jerrytruong
joshnguyen
Admin
73 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty The Crevecoeur Selection.

Post  Admin Fri Sep 07, 2012 12:00 am

Do you agree with Crevecoeur? What does it mean to be an American? Especially in today's society? Is his selection still pertinent?

Admin
Admin

https://mrjsclassforum.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty I Agree with Crevecoeur's Definition of an American

Post  joshnguyen Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:03 am

As I was reading through the article, I've noticed that some things do apply today, while others don't.
I've sorted them out through these lists:

Applies Today:
Spoiler:

Doesn't Apply Today:
Spoiler:

In my opinion, I believe that to live in America today, as a citizen, is different from other countries; our lifestyle, culture, and interests. As the Constitution states, we all have the freedom of the pursuit of happiness. The economy may be facing a recession right now, but as Crevecoeur stated, "they will finish the great circle."

Last edited by joshnguyen on Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:05 am; edited 1 time in total

joshnguyen

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty Re: The Crevecoeur Selection.

Post  jerrytruong Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:05 am

I agree with Crevecoeur for the most part. Most of what he claims about Americans are true but there are a few things that I disagree about. For one, I disagree how he claims that we are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared. He sounds arrogant for saying that we are the best. Honestly, I don't think we are the finest systems of population. We have many issues going on in our country. He says that we are now able to feed our families with no problems. That's where he's wrong. In today's society, there are a big number of Americans who do not have food, do not have jobs, and some do not even have homes to live in. Crevecoeur's idea of an American was particularly correct in some ways. Americans entertain new ideas and new opinions on how to make the United States a better place and act when the economy takes a turn for the worse. They do not have an absolute ruler interfering with the way they run their country. The Americans control every aspect of how they want things to be done. They vote for their presidents and have rights to speak up and try to change things to the way they see fit. People from all nations have gathered together to make America the way it is today. Though it is pretty great so far, we still have a long way to go before it can be called the greatest nation in the world.

jerrytruong

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty I Agree with Crevecoeur's Definition of an American

Post  Ha Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:56 am

I agree with Crevecoeur for the majority of his definition, but there are few statements that could be edited. One instance is that I agree when he says "Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men", mainly because the majority of the people come from other countries. For example, I am an immigrant from Vietnam who came here to have a better life, and that brings up to the next quote saying "The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born." Another bold statement that i agree with is "without any part being claimed, either by a despotic prince, a rich abbot, or a mighty lord.", which is basically saying how America will never be ruled by a monarch of any kind, but more of a leader for the people, by the people.
How ever on the other end some of this statements would just seem bizarre in our society now. One instance is when he says "The Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared". This just seems lunatic due to the fact that America is now populated with other ethnicity like Asians, Africans, and Hispanics. Overall, i believe that this is a significant passage in today's modern society.

Ha

Back to top Go down

Post  SDKjoshua Sat Sep 08, 2012 2:58 am

I mostly agree with Crevecoeur. His definition of what an American is was almost the same as my perspective to what defines an American. I agreed with him that America is indeed a nation where all races are melted together to form a new race of men. He wrote that, “…whose labours and prosperity will one day cause great changes in the world.” This quote, I believe, is true. Americans had changed the world and still is. Through the hard work of many of our forefathers they had built a nation where different variety of arts, languages, intellects and many more are joined together to form a grand nation. However, these great things are being degraded by most of the present generation. They “…ought to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born.” They might love this country but they are giving it a bad name through the eyes of other countries. Once, the Americans were respected and regarded as great people. Americans are still great people, but the number of people looking up to America, though there still are a great number, is dissipating slowly. Suspect

SDKjoshua

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty Re: Crevecoeur Selection

Post  T.Nguyen3 Sat Sep 08, 2012 1:07 pm

I agree with most of Crevecouer's claims but not all of them. One of his claims that I agree with is that America is not hindered by the fact that it is ruled by any monarchy or of any nobility when he stated, " Without any part being claimed, either by a despotic prince, rich abbot, or a might lord." We have a president who is elected by popular vote of all the citizens of America, we have the right to speak out our opinions and we have the right for liberty and freedom; not having to plead loyalty to any monarch or any higher class of person. I however, disagree of Crevecouer's description of an American as stated, " Wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat and frolicsome..." This is absolutely not true ,as though America may be better than some other countries, it is definitely not the most perfect society there is. Despite the new given freedom and liberty that made America as it stands, there are a huge number of Americans who could not feed, clothe, or provide for themselves, and some don't even have a home to live in. Also, Crevecouer's statement of " The Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared..." is completely incorrect, because now in today's society, America has been highly populated by Hispanics, Asians, and African Americans. Some may call America a terrible society and some, like Crevecouer may call America the most perfect place to live. I, however, believe that though America may not be perfect, it will be one day.

T.Nguyen3

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty RE: Crevecoeur Selection

Post  Erick Fonseca Sat Sep 08, 2012 3:28 pm

I don't agree with the definition of what an American should be. In todays world many people have their own definition of what an American should be and the ideas may vary. I don't agree with Crevecoeur because many people aren't able to accomplish the American Dream. In todays society there are people who don't have food, are homeless, and struggle to live everyday. In my own opinion I believe that America is a great place but, many of the people have become corrupt with power. Like Thomas Hobbes stated in his Leviathan, "No arts; no letters; no society; and which is worst of all, continual fear, and danger of violent death: and the life of man, solitary, poor, nasty, brutish and short." Most of mankind has become what Hobbes describes as solitary, poor, nasty, brutish, and short. They gain power only to full fill their selfish needs. Overall, Crevecoeur had an idea of what a real American should be but like I said the ideas differ from person to person.

Erick Fonseca

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty I agree with Crevecoeur

Post  Kenny Le Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:38 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur. " The Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared,..." Americans did not originate from one single race. People from all over then world came to America for a better life. They came here to escape the raging wars in their countries, unfair and unjust law or from their government's oppression. Which brings me to this next quote, " The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born." Even though they were not born in this country, they love it more than their own. Here the laws are fair and just. Everyone can live their lives how they see fit. "Without any part being claimed, either by a despotic prince, a rich abbot, or a mighty lord." As Americans, we have rights, these rights cannot be taken away from us by anyone. We have to right to freely speak our mind and we cannot be oppressed. In today's society, there are people from all over the world and there are many cultures mixed together. It does not mater if your Asian, Hispanic, or White. We are all Americans.

Kenny Le

Back to top Go down

Post  GonzalezM4 Sat Sep 08, 2012 6:59 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur when he says that "...individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men... " because equality has always been part of the foundation of America, therefore being an American would automatically mean that no matter where you or your ancestors come from, once you are in America, you now belong to a new group of people. However, I think that Crevecoeur has Americans on too high a pedestal. He showers American's with praise, but I personally don't agree with his theory that American's are one of the greatest populations, nor that Americans are justly rewarded by their labor.

GonzalezM4

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty Crevecoeur's definition

Post  NguyenC3 Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:26 pm

i agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American because many people come to America just to be free and have a good job. The economy in our society is down right now but poeple still want to come here. They leave their country and come here to have a happy life with their family. They know that in this country, they can do whatever they want and no one can do anything about it. We all live in a country where we can speak for ourselves and are not affraid of anyone.

NguyenC3

Back to top Go down

Post  Alvarez,E 3 Sat Sep 08, 2012 7:47 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur's defenition of an american, especially when he states "All nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world...". I Agree because several people from around the world have lived and still do in the United States, which shows how diffrent races and cultures have all been combined to one country. however i believe that he is wrong when he says "American ought therefore to love this country much better then that wherein either he or his forefathers were born". I disagree with this because even tho someone is born and raised in the United States, dosent mean they will love and prefer this country more then the one who can be considered their "home land". Therefore I believe that Crevecoeur's defenition of an american is pretty accurate, in exception of a few statements.

Alvarez,E 3

Back to top Go down

Post  VerboonenB4 Sat Sep 08, 2012 8:49 pm

I agree with the view of the American. The American has his choice of doing what he chooses to do with his life. If he chooses to be a farmer than he will reap his reward through hard labor and not have to share with a prince or lord but with his family.

VerboonenB4

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty Response to Creveoeur question

Post  Bryannguyen3 Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:02 pm

I agree with Creveoeur definition because i believe what he said is true. One thing that I agree about is when he state, " American are western pilgrims, who are carrying along with them that great mass of arts, science, vigour, and industry which began long since in the east; they will finish the great circle. " I agree with this definition because I like what he said about the American, he describe them as a carrier of knowledge, science and mass of art which what make technology of today made people life easier. Another thing I like about his definition is when he state, " The American is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas , and form new opinions. " I really like this idea because it show American is a survivor, who bring new idea to this country and create many other idea, without these idea people would never have a chance to vote and we still live in the time where there still king. Overall, I really like and agree to what Crevoeur idea, reading it make me feel proud to be one of the American citizen.

Bryannguyen3

Back to top Go down

Post  JudyLotfy Sat Sep 08, 2012 10:14 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur. Crevecoeur's definition of an American is any person who leaves behind their hardships and plans on starting a new life by living a new dream. Crevecoeur said, " From involuntary idleness, servile dependence, penury, and useless labour, he has passed to toils of a very different nature, rewarded be ample subsistence." Considering that most of our families came from foreign countries to start a better life in America validates Crevecoeur's statement. Even though these foreigners come to America and work hard to make a living, they still appreciate this country more than their own. Like Crevecoeur said, "American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born." Crevecoeur glorifies America for a reason, it is where everyone comes to live their American dream. In other countries an individual may work for numerous hours without many benefits, at least in America the law can protect all your rights. Sure America now is in debt, but it is still a leading country. There's faith that America will be much better than it was.

JudyLotfy

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty RE: Crevecoeur selection response: agree. [Period 1]

Post  Elaine R Soriano Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:01 pm

From what I understood, Mr Crevecoeur's definition of an American is thus: someone who brings useful innovation and enthusiasm to everyday lives, regardless of his/her place of birth, and who has the freedom of self-interest. I agree with Mr Crevecoeur's definition of what it is to be an American; in our modern America, there is so much diversity that it is difficult to further specify what it means to be "American." While not everyone is prosperous, as Mr Crevecoeur claims, it is possible for anyone who lives in the United States to improve their economic and social status through individual labor that does not have to be given to someone else by force. From where ever we were born, we come together in America and work to improve our lives and others' lives. Whether through education or business, an American is indeed someone who will be "rewarded by ample subsistence," eventually. Mr Crevecoeur paints America as "one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared," and I think that is true. Many immigrants from Europe and other countries come to America fleeing poor political/social/economic conditions, and America is truly the best place to "entertain new ideas." We may not be perfect, but America (and Americans) is constantly expanding and improving, through capitalism and the individuals working together.

Elaine R Soriano

Back to top Go down

Post  moniquesim Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:08 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur in his statement that America is made up of people from nations all around the world. It is a country where citizens have immigrated and brought along with them, their unique traditions . An American has the ability to absorb customs and ideas from numerous cultures. To be an American today means to have the ability to follow any of your own desires. An American can start off with nothing but build up from it and reach their dreams. However, his selection is not pertinent to this day because children do not follow the exact paths of their fathers. Instead, children in America have the opportunity to grow up and follow the career paths of their choice. Lords no longer exist in this day and age; as an alternative, the government collects taxes from its citizens.

moniquesim

Back to top Go down

Post  ChongB4 Sat Sep 08, 2012 11:31 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur's statement about an American since it has given many people who have traveled to America, the opportunity to do whatever is in their "self-interest." An American is able to work to feed his family and work to satisfy his own needs. Crevecouer writes, "Here individuals of all nations are melted into new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world." , Crevecouer is saying that many people have immigrated to America to live in a place where they are equal and able to live the life they always wanted.

ChongB4

Back to top Go down

Post  V.Bui14 Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:23 am

I agree with many points in Crevecoeur's definition of an American. I agree with his statement that "... individuals of all nations are melted into a new race..." In America, we are able to meet many people of all different ethnic background, which is an amazing thing. I also agree when Crevecoeur said Americans "... carry along with them that great mass of arts, sciences, vigour, and industry.... The American is a new man, who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas, and form new opinions." With America being called the land of opportunity, Crevecoeur made a very relevant statement. What I don't agree on, however, is Crevecoeur's idea of the ability to act upon and succeed in these ventures. Not everyone will succeed. The pep talk and the motivation stickers of childhood are lies. If everyone succeed, life would be far too easy. Easy is not part of life. Because of this, I don't agree with Crevecoeur's idea of success by mere effort. In addition, I also don't agree when Crevecoeur state that "... Americans were once scattered all over Europe;..." Americans are not solely from Europe. Taking into consideration the time this letter was taken, and the possible lack of Asians and Hispanics, Native Americans were common, were they not? Crevecoeur failure to mention Native Americans made me annoyed. I did not appreciated that sliver of discrimination. Overall though, I agreed with many of Crevecoeur's Mary-Sue, Amercian Dream ideas. (:

Last edited by V.Bui14 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:51 am; edited 1 time in total

V.Bui14

Back to top Go down

Post  VuB4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:39 am

I disagree with what Crevecoeur states in this selection. From what I have read, Crevecoeur states that America is where, "...individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men." When he uses the word 'melted,' he implies that we have combined our differences into one race, one culture. This is not true. There are people everywhere in America that insult others because of the color of their skin, the things they eat, or how their traditions differ. People in America are too blinded by this foolish pride of race that we clash with these disputes day by day. However, Crevecoeur states, relating to the American man, that, "...his labour is founded on the basis of nature,self-interest...." This is one of the only statements that I can say is true, but I disagree with Crevecoeur on his meaning of this. My opinion of this quote portrays Americans today as selfish, unable to give, but always being able to receive. Maybe this article may have applied to America back then, but I cannot see the relativity today.

I apologize for having such harsh opinions of Americans today, but this is SOLELY my opinion that i was to share.

VuB4

Back to top Go down

Post  PhamK4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 2:43 am

I do agree with Crevecoeur’s opinion about what it takes to be an American. To be an American, one must obtain the gift of knowledge through studying at a school to be a well-educated person. All Americans must come together from different nations and work hand in hand to develop a society that will sustain the current and future population of American citizens. In today’s society, this gathering of people helps benefit us as we can contribute our own ideas that can be turned into a great innovation to change the world. After all, America is the land of opportunity. Crevecoeur however, is a bit incorrect when he states that the “American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born”. The American does not necessarily have to love his current country more than his ancestors’ original country. Though many people leave their original country to go live the American Dream, that doesn’t mean the path of migration will instantly cause a person to love his new country when nothing has been accomplished yet. It is true though, that if one works hard to overcome obstacles, have selfless acts of kindness, give charity to the poor, and endures poverty, then one may live to be successful and rewarded by wealth and luxury.

PhamK4

Back to top Go down

Post  Johnsonngodoan Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:34 am

I agree with most of Crevecoeur's claims but some of them are wrong. When Crevecoeur stated, "... Whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world". I agree with this because the labours that the Americans have put changed the world. We have upgraded from steam boats to boats that run on engine now and typewriters into computers and laptops that we can delete mistakes without starting over. Another statement that i agree with is, "American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born". People who immigrated into America and stay to work there start to forget about their home country from where they were born. They start to like being an American and want to live the American Dream. One of the statement was wrong when he said, "now, fat and frolicsome, gladly help their father to clear those fields whence exuberant crops". Some people are poor and can't even feed there own family in America. Others are homeless without a clue of of how they are going to get food.

Johnsonngodoan

Back to top Go down

Post  trinathai Sun Sep 09, 2012 1:07 pm

In Crevecoeur's words, he sees Americans as those who are loyal to this country and this country only and strive together to work for a better future. I agree with the general idea of this, but on some specific points I am not completely all on-board with. One statement that stood out to me was "here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world." Everyone who immigrated to the United States all had one common goal which is to obtain a better life whether it came with hard work or not. Other claims of being an American are clearly outdated and belong to old-fashioned thinking. How he puts women and children as only those who "help their father to clear those fields whence exuberant crops are to arise to feed and to clothe them all" when it is known women now have more independence and can take place of said father is one example. Another thing I don't agree with is the "small voluntary salary to the minister, and gratitude to God" but that's probably just me, being anything too religious brought up makes me a bit uncomfortable. Anyway, that's what I think of Crevecoeur's article and stuff, n___n.

trinathai

Back to top Go down

Post  DuranE3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:27 pm

I disagree with most of Crevecoeur's points in From Letters from an American Farmer. For instance, Crevecoeur states that all nations melt into one. This implies that there is equality among all people in the U.S., however this is untrue because there is inequality and prejudice among races as well as among men and women. Furthermore, Crevecoeur makes America seem like the perfect place where everyone is well fed, happy, healthy, and hardworking. I disagree with this because there are, unfortunately, people who have no food or home that live on the streets and have no jobs. There is a point which I agree with. For example, I agree that Americans carry a "great mass of arts, sciences, vigour, and industry," because they have modernized and industrialized the world. Neutral

DuranE3

Back to top Go down

Post  Duy Hong Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:30 pm

I agree with most of Crevecoeur's definition of an American. There are many points of what he said are true, but there are also a few things that I disagree about. For instance, he says that Americans can easily feed their whole family. That is not true as there are many people in America who have no jobs, no homes, no money, and they can't even feed themselves. He says that Americans were once scattered all over Europe and have joined together to create the finest systems of population, this is wrong as Americans have an even huger diversity as there are Asians, Hispanics, Africans, White. I agree with Crevecoer when he says that America is not controlled by a despotic prince as we have the government.

Duy Hong

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. Empty period 1

Post  Brian Tran Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:37 pm

On the most part, I do agree with Crevecoeur on what it means to be an American. There is no true ethnic group to classify an American, but Americans work hard to prosper and also to make our country a better place to live. We vote for our leader, the president, and also vote on propositions that may or may not become laws. In our present state, many Americans may not have the opportunity to work and prosper because of our current conditions. As history shows, our country will recover from its recession and prosper.

Brian Tran

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum