Mr. J's Honors English 3H Class Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Crevecoeur Selection.

+69
Dalal Dandan
evelynmenjivar
gonzalezjason
mariorosales
christiannherr
OxleyA4
davidtranp3
Regina Tang
HinojosaP4
Cristy Nguyen
JacobH3
TranC4
Hoang,K 3
MedinaA2
Castillojs4
Saron Ayala3
marcos14
JimmyNgoP4
SerranoM4
Esmeralda Cayetano
JamesDang
GarciaAn3
DanielP
Nicholas Souchitto
robertvictorio
AndyDo3
montoyaR4
VasquezA.3
Joanne V.
garciaa3
Paula L. 3
heidyrobles14
angeliquenguyen
maganav4
dangn
diazjennifer03
Aimee Rivera
Hung Bui
Dang Nina
TranCJ4
DeLosSantosJessica4
davilaI4
LeahRachel
nguyenk3
Brian Tran
Duy Hong
DuranE3
trinathai
Johnsonngodoan
PhamK4
VuB4
V.Bui14
ChongB4
moniquesim
Elaine R Soriano
JudyLotfy
Bryannguyen3
VerboonenB4
Alvarez,E 3
NguyenC3
GonzalezM4
Kenny Le
Erick Fonseca
T.Nguyen3
SDKjoshua
Ha
jerrytruong
joshnguyen
Admin
73 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty Re: The Crevecoeur Selection.

Post  nguyenk3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 3:55 pm

I definitely agree with Crevecoeur's definition of what it means to be an American. Our world is made up of "individuals of all nations" that work hard in order for their country to prosper. Every day Americans make great changes to the world with modern day technology and develop new concepts in order to make the lives of people better. However, there was one point that Crevecoeur made that I did not fully agree with. As stated in the paragraph, "Wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat and frolicsome, gladly help their father to clear those fields whence exuberant crops are to arise to feed and to clothe them all..." This phrase is not necessarily true. Yes, there are families that have food brought upon their dinner tables every night, however there are also people who live paycheck by paycheck. In addition, there are people who do not even know if they will have enough food to feed their entire family. For the most part, yes Crevecoeur's definition of an American is true.

nguyenk3

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty Period 1

Post  LeahRachel Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:10 pm

For the most part, I do agree with Crevecouer's definition of an American and his ideas, but there are a few points that I didn't think were really true, with most people today. For example when he said, "Americans ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his foreathers were born." Many Americans come from different countries, Mexico, Vietnam, and Chinese to name a few, and it doesn't make sense to me why they should have to love America more then their home countries. While people are coming here and starting over they are not a "new man", just because there is a new way of thinking, doesn't make a person "new" again. On another note, I do agree with this, "Wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now fat and frolicsome, gladly help their father to clear those fields, whence exuberant crops are to arise to feed and clothe them all; without any part being claimed by a despostic princes, a rich abbot or a mighty lord." People work for what they have, earn it, and because of that it's rightfully theirs. Americans refuse to have a monarchy, and give away what belongs to them, just because someone was born of a higher status. Overall Crevecoeur's definition of a American still applies, but since it was written long ago, it's obvious that it won't fit today's society perfectly, especially with all the different types of people coming from all over the world, but then there also some qualities of Americans that never really change.

LeahRachel

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty the creveceour selcetion

Post  davilaI4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:14 pm

I agree to Creveceour's definition of an American in that he states, "Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race" This is completely true in that our society is populated with all different types of races, such as hispanics,asains..etc. but once we are in America we all belong to one race and that's the American race. I also agree with Creveceour when he states," whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world." This is true in that everyone has the capability to make a difference in the world. Creveceour's definition of an American is some what relateable to mine, therefore i agree to his defintion.

davilaI4

Back to top Go down

Post  DeLosSantosJessica4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 4:26 pm

I would have to agree with Crevecoeur's meaning on what he believes an American is. To the point that Crevecoeur describes an American as being truly a diverse set of people who come together forgetting religion, social, and econimic differences, that is an American.

DeLosSantosJessica4

Back to top Go down

Post  TranCJ4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:50 pm

I agree with most of Crevecoeur's definition of an American. I agree that an American must love America more than his/her old country, and that he/she becomes a new man with new ideas. However, I do not agree with Crevecoeur's idea that an American can only be a male (Crevecoeur never mentions the word "She" or "Her" in this document). Also, I do not agree that an American must give little of his/her salary to God, for not every American must be bounded to Christianity. Finally, Crevecoeur never said that an American can come from Asia, Africa, or from the Americas (Mexico, and South America), meaning that an American can only be an immigrant from Europe. However, this is also false. I believe that as long as a person is willing to love America more than his/her old country, he/she is worthy of being called an American.

Last edited by TranCJ4 on Sun Sep 09, 2012 5:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : I had more to add.)

TranCJ4

Back to top Go down

Post  Dang Nina Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:04 pm

I agree with most of Crevecouer's definition of an American. We do have the capabilities to progress and develop our society. However, we aren't the only ones that are able to do so. I disagree in the fact that he basically singled out Americans as being on top of the rest of the world. Although we do have such capabilities and the resources necessary to gain knowledge, many Americans choose not to do so. Also the statement "wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat and frolicsome, gladly help their father to clear those fields..." is incorrect today. Although many Americans are well-fed and live a satisfactory life, there were/are still many on the streets homeless and starving. I believe that Crevecouer thinks of the Americans too highly and overgeneralized the Americans.

Dang Nina

Back to top Go down

Post  Hung Bui Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:23 pm

For the most part, I agree with Crevecoeur definition of an American, but there are some things i don't agree with. For example, he says that people only work for there own self interest, but some people work for their families. He also stated that all Americans came from Europe, but that is not true today because Americans come from all kinds of places like Africa, Asia, Australia, etc. he said that, "Wives and children, who before in vain demanded of him a morsel of bread, now, fat frolicsome, gladly help their father," but in today's world, it's usually the men going to work,kids going to school, and women doing the housework. Some people don't even have jobs because of the economy. Although, Crevecoeur had an idea of how Americans are today it isn't exactly all correct.

Hung Bui

Back to top Go down

Post  Aimee Rivera Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:28 pm

I don't agree with Crevecoeur's idea of an American. When he states, "The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born" makes it seem as if we owe everything to this country. I think you value it, but not necessarly owe it anything because there are people here still suffering because they are poor or homeless. We have the capability to do many things, but we are not the only ones.

Aimee Rivera

Back to top Go down

Post  diazjennifer03 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:33 pm

For the most part i can agree with Crevecoeur definition of an american but some of what he is saying isn't up to date with what our americans of the modern world are like today. for example he saying "individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men..." well in todays world not everyone is treated equal especially if you're from a different race , usually the americans don't accept people of different race and its unfair to think that to be american you must look american. What i do agree on is his statement that "labour and posterity will one day cause great changes to the world." its true because the change is happening already with us as human evolving with new discoveries we make and cures to help the sick and new ideas to help our planet , animals, and people survive.

diazjennifer03

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty Crevecoeur's statement about Americans

Post  dangn Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:45 pm

i agree with Crevecoeur's opinion about being Americans. As an immigant myself, I personally relate to the statement:"... a new man, who acts upon new principle..." as a new guideline for me to create a better future. Americans not only want to create a wealthy and satisfactory life, but also providing their children with good education and opportunites. On the other hand, I disagee with Crevecoeu's statement:".. all nations are melted into a new race of men,..." because there are no shame to be a certain race. I think there are no certain race has an opportunity to make a difference. In fact, everyone is created equally and have same ability to change the world in their own way.

dangn

Back to top Go down

Post  maganav4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:55 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur when he says that all men are melted into one race when they enter America. To be equal is a wonderful thing, you enter a country with a diverse range of ethinicities and everyone lives amongst one another. I don't however, agree with him when he says, "The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born", I believe that people should be able to love any other country more than America if they wanted to. He made it seem like America was the only place that people could stay and love, when in reality that is not the case.

maganav4

Back to top Go down

Post  angeliquenguyen Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:57 pm

For the most part i agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American. But it says "Americans were once scattered all over Europe". People are coming from all over the world to be here, not just from Europe. Yes we Americans will make a change in this new world. We will carry on new ideas, new discoveries, and things that will help us through the times. But the sentence, "The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born.." throws it off for me. Some people might not be happy moving on to this country. That statement sounds as if we have to love this country more than the one we were originally from or inherit from. Some people will still be picked on or judged by where there from or how they look.

angeliquenguyen

Back to top Go down

Post  heidyrobles14 Sun Sep 09, 2012 8:32 pm

I disagree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American. For example, when he says " The Americans were once scattered all over Europe " he is saying that Americans were the people who were raised and lived in Europe. However, people from all over the world immigrated to America for a better life and better opportunities. Also, when he says “Wives and children gladly help their father to clear those fields whence exuberant crops are to arise and clothe them all" because many Americans are homeless, have no food and are poor. He also states that " The American ought therefore to love this country.." but everyone has their own opinion and every person has the ability to make their own decisions. In addition, he says that " Individuals of all nations are melted together into a new race of men" but not all Americans accept other races because of their skin color, or just because they don't fit in. I agree when he says " The american is a new man, who acts upon new principles" because when you come to America you can change to start living a new life.

heidyrobles14

Back to top Go down

Post  Paula L. 3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:14 pm

I mostly agree with Crevecouer's definition of an American. For example, America is a nation made up of people and other influences of various countries. This evident through the history of immigrants from all over the world. This creates new ideas that lead to American society's ability to achieve great legacies in the arts and such. However, there are some things that I find myself disagreeing to. Crevecouer's claim that we as Americans "ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born" is one of those points. Like he stated earlier, America is made up of a blend of various nations. Americans should not forget that--much less undervalue it. It's important to treasure the values of our ancestors in order to understand what makes America great. By unappreciating it, it is possible to forget those values that contributed to this amazing country and therefore, not advance further in any field properly. Like Isaac Newton said,"If I have seen further, it has been by standing on the shoulders of giants." America has done so much in art, sciences and technology thanks to other countries. Crevecouer himself admitted that by mentioning the accomplishments of the East. Besides that, Crevecouer's definition of Americans is agreeable.

Paula L. 3

Back to top Go down

Post  garciaa3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:21 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur’s definition of an American because modern Americans have different roots and origins but focus their positive attributes toward improving America. The truth about modern America is that it is very diverse in many aspects because of all the unique inhabitants. Also, diverse Americans are the key to expanding and gaining power for America. A prosperous America can only be attained through the honest labor of the majority of Americans. I agree with Crevecoeur’s concept that an American will only be rewarded through labor, but an American will only obtain labor if they have self interest. The basis of a prosperous America is diversity, honesty and self interested Americans who desire the American dream.

garciaa3

Back to top Go down

Post  Joanne V. Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:41 pm

I do agree with Crevecoeur but not entirely. It is true that people from all over the world come to America and join together as Americans. As these people come over, they bring over their culture and their knowledge. They come to America for a better life and for better opportunities. Crevecoeur, however, seems to have a condescending view on other nations. He says that, "The American ought therefore to love this country much better than that wherein either he or his forefathers were born." Crevecoeur seems to believe that America is superior than all the other countries in the world and should be more loved than ones own homeland. Crevecoeur also says that America is great because labor is based on "self-interest." This is only true to some extent because if everyone just works for themselves, then there will be others who are suffering and in need of help. If there are people suffering, like today in America, then America isn't as great as he writes.

Joanne V.

Back to top Go down

Post  VasquezA.3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:42 pm

Except for one exception, I disagree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American. Crevecoeur was right when he said "Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world", America did not start off being a perfect country we had our flaws but eventually people like Abraham Lincoln and Martin Luther King caused great changes in our world and made our country a better place. I disagree on Crevecoeur’s belief that we are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population, because to this day there are still Americans disputing on what ethnicities shouldn’t be a part of our population. Also Crevecoeur refers to American families being well fed and clothed but he does not realize that there is still poverty amongst Americans, and there are families out there who are suffering because they lack food, and jobs. Crevecoeur also speaks of men cropping their own goods and having no one claim any part of what is theirs, but this over the years has changed. Although Americans work their own jobs and make their own money the government still claims a percentage of their check, Americans pay taxes and are no longer self ruled. Lastly, Crevecoeur talks about Americans becoming new people and having new principles and opinions, but in reality many Americans brought their culture and beliefs to America. They did not abandon their ancestor’s principles or opinions they simply assimilated them in their new life.

VasquezA.3

Back to top Go down

Post  montoyaR4 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:48 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur that "Here individuals of all nations are melted into a new race of men," because men are all equal when they enter America. It does not matter where one came from, but rather where one is now. However, I do disagree with him on his claim that America is incorporated into one of the finest systems of population because he has America on a pedestal, when in reality, now a days, there is corruption, poverty, and racism still.

montoyaR4

Back to top Go down

Post  AndyDo3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:49 pm

Crevecoeur's perspective on Americans is complete with misconceptions, irrationalities, and fallacies attained from early settlers of American soil. The modern day American no longer relies on individualism to accomplish goals. Our society sympathizes to those who work together to accomplish unimaginable feats. Our government has since taken a bigger role in every day lives of Americans. Those who refuse to work together, can easily be left behind and forgotten. No longer is it possible feed your family as uninterrupted as before. Americans, in this new day and age, have much more to worry about in this complex society. However, if there is one thing to agree with, it is that America is a nation whose origin is comprised of those who look for a better future, one where it's possible to attain and achieve. With that said, however, you can no longer migrate to America expecting the unlikely to happen. To be an American is to be willing to have an open mind, to work with others hoping to pursue their goals, such like yourself, and in the end, the rewards will yield great things to come.

AndyDo3

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty Crevecoeur Selection

Post  robertvictorio Sun Sep 09, 2012 9:50 pm

I agree with what Crevecoeur is saying how most of all the nationalities have migrated to America and how they have united as one to become a nation, but the part where he says that we are one of the finest countries I really disagree with because our economy is bad and not many people have jobs to provide for themselves which makes America look bad. Another part where I agree with Crevecoeur is where he says that we Americans have become so intelligent to make machinery that helps with speed production of goods. We now have many things that have certainly evolved with time, for example a car, in the beginning most people had wagons to pull their belongings around, but now most Americans have a car to take them to far places. To be an American now is one of the hardest things to do yet it is a great privilege, back then if you were here you were automatically known as an American for living their.
When Crevecoeur said that we should love our country, I strongly agreed with him because our ancestors fought for it and lost their lives just so we could live here and that is why most of us or all of us should love and admire our country.

robertvictorio

Back to top Go down

Post  Nicholas Souchitto Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:03 pm

I agree with Crevecoeur about his idea that America has been forged out of the will of the men that have migrated from the east and has become a great nation. However, I disagree that America is the finest because our own nation has it's own problems that can turn America upside down. I would totally agree with Crevecoeur if it was the past, however it is 2012 and many things have changed between the past and now.

Nicholas Souchitto

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of and American

Post  DanielP Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:28 pm

I agree with a majority of Crevecoeur's definition of an American. Crevecoeur describes the American as a "new race of men" that is created by individuals of all nations coming together in this country. That is true because not many countries around the world can have a variety of ethnicities living as one as we do here in America. Here, a brotherhood of diverse nations is created. He claims "Americans were once scattered all over Europe" which, in those times, was true but nowadays many other nations have united as one in this country. He says that an American ought to love this country better than where he originated. I kind of disagree because if we do that, there wouldn't be that much diversity in which makes America unique. A reason he thinks people should love this country more than where he originated is because the American finds opportunity here; this is true because that is why most individuals from other countries are in America for, opportunity! Americans are great, he says, because Wives and children now help the father instead of demanding him to give them everything. I really agree with this because here, women are independent; they can now support the family as the fathers do, they have rights! In many other countries women do not have rights and every decision is done for them; I think that is what an American is: being able to have freedom of speech! I support Crevecour's claim here because alot of this still applies to today's life in America.

DanielP

Back to top Go down

Post  GarciaAn3 Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm

After reading Crevecoeurs's definition of an American I agree with his idea of what an American is but i also disagree with a few of his ideas. For example he says America is made up of " individuals of all nations.." that are "melted into a new race of men, whose labours and posterity will one day cause great changes in the world." People now continue to immigrate to America in search of bettering their lives. They look forward to the greater job opportunities to help them raise themselves and be able to provide for not only them but their family. As well as his idea that people are not afraid to question lessons learned from history. They aren't afraid of making their own mistakes to learn from and form their own ideas and beliefs. I have to disagree with point that "Americans were once scattered all over Europe; here they are incorporated into one of the finest systems of population which has ever appeared." The average American now is usually made up of different ethnic backgrounds not just one. Most of the population is made up ethnicities like Hispanic, Asian, African American, and many different other groups of people. He makes America's society seem perfect. He makes America out to be the place where people need to want to live in , that it is the best in the world. America's society is full of flaws. We here in America's society suffer from economical problems, crime, as well as corruption in the higher power of the government.

GarciaAn3

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty Crevecoeur Assignment

Post  JamesDang Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:53 pm

Crevecoeur's idea of an American is one that is of Protestant descent. Not all people of America were Protestants. There were those who lived there before the Protestants: The Native Americans. To be American, one must live by his or her morals. One must decide to do as he or she wishes knowing of what consequences may be in store for them. Crevecoeur believes that Americans should act on new principles and form new ideas. I believe not. There are times when old, traditional teachings and ideas are more rational than that of the new. Rational decisions are more necessary than that of the new. In today's society, not all Americans are of Protestant descent. There are people who descended from all sorts of countries, including those of Europe. There are those who are suffering from famine and those who are feasting. In the end, I disagree with Crevecoeur's idea of what an American is.

JamesDang

Back to top Go down

The Crevecoeur Selection. - Page 2 Empty I agree with Crevecoeur's definition of an American

Post  Esmeralda Cayetano Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:55 pm

I do agree with some of Crevecoeur's definition of an American but not all."Americans are the western pilgrims, who are carrying along with them that great mass of arts, sciences, vigour, and industry which began long since in the east;they will finish the great circle," here, he talks about our ancestors. Our country and world was developed and adapted by people. At first they started off with very little and soon expanded. He states that,"The American is a new man,who acts upon new principles; he must therefore entertain new ideas,and form new opinions," this is another quote in which I agree with and with. It's true that in our society, people have looked and acted upon new laws and customs.

Esmeralda Cayetano

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum